Monday, October 25, 2010

"So your favorite foods is rice and... ?"

The above title is perhaps one of my favorite quotes ever.

It was said to one of my fellow PCT by her supervisor when we were traveling to our permanent sites and is to this day ridiculously funny. White rice is perhaps one of the biggest food staples and also the one that gets old the fastest. While I have learned how best to eat it (with kalamansi, soy sauce, and occasionally some small peppers) and how best to avoid it (Wala. Busog kaayo daghan Lumpia!) I still cant get away a full day without eating it at least once. Anyways, I'm rambling.

So I am a full two weeks away from Swearing In and I have got to say I couldn’t be more ready. Training has been fun and I am going to miss my cluster (Team Awesome) more then words can describe I can’t wait to finally get to my permanent site and get to work. While I know getting to site is only the beginning of a new form of waiting it's exciting to think that my time here in the Philippines will finally get rolling. Till then I will be patiently waiting in the confines of the gorgeous Duma city.

Living in the Visayas (and in particular Duma) has its perks (actually a lot of them). A week ago we got the chance to head over to Dauin, a beach about 20-30 minutes away, with an awesome marine sanctuary. The day was a little windy but the sun was out and while the water wasn’t as crystal clear as it could be it was still amazing (2 and a 1/2 months and already I'm a beach snob). We got to snorkel and while we were there it started raining but since the sun was still out there was a double rainbow. It was one of those once in a lifetime kind of experiences.

Last week was also the last week of teaching for us at our practice site. It was really nice to see how much I had learned over the last couple of weeks and how sad the kids were to say their goodbyes. I got a few "Thank you Teacher Jessi" letters and a cool necklace from the class. The best part was probably being able to give them candy for being such good students to me and having a few personal teaching victories with my counterpart teacher. Now to just put on a Multiple Intelligences Seminar for the teachers there and I'll be able to move on to my new site.

The last awesome thing that occurred last week was the Buglasan festival held every year in Dumaguete. It is tooted as the Festival of all Festivals and towns from Negros Oriental come in for a week for a series of dance, music, crafts and other various competitions. It was a lot of fun to be able to get a glimpse into the various towns in Negros and what they are known for.

So a personal request...
Send me things!! I haven't really done the whole posting of my address here but I've decided it’s critical to my sanity (pause for dramatic effect). Among things I need...
Seasoning for meats and fish, cilantro seeds and vegetable seeds really, Red Vines, Pop tarts, reading material, plastic (ziploc) bags, curly hair products, regular gum, recipes for Mexican food (Angie I'm looking at you), and really anything else you think I may need.

It's just kinda nice to get stuff.
My Address:

Letters:
Jessica Miguel
c/o Peace Corps
P.O. Box 7013
Airmail Distribution Center
N.A.I.A, Pasay City
1300 Philippines

Packages:
Jessica Miguel
c/o Peace Corps
6/F PNB Financial Center
Macapagal Blvd., Pasay City
1308 Philippines

*Also send me addresses if you want letters and stuff I can probably get that going.*

And with that I'm off to study, I've killed enough time.
Ayo-Ayo (take care)

No comments:

Post a Comment