Sunday, August 29, 2010

My host mom is a G

Yeah, thats right. I've written it down so now its a fact.

Its been 3 days since I landed in Dumaguete, the land of beautiful beaches and mountains. Be jealous. I was greeted by my host momma Lupin who is very nice and sweet. She lives by herself with a maid (that's gonna take some getting used to) in a two story house. She is a widow and her kids either live abroad (Australia & U.S.) or in Manila. Shes visited them all plus been to Europe since 2 of her daughters are stewardesses and get crazy discounts. Shes hosted one other Peace Corps voulnteer and students from the nearby university. It's a pretty awesome set up except for the fact that it can get pretty lonely when all your host mom wants to do is sleep. I havent learned very much of the language yet but hopefully i'll make cool Filipino/a friends and of course my cluster is full of cool people to hang out with too.

By far the craziest experience has to be joining my host mom in attending her friends dinner party. She hangs with the cool people in town, including the city counselor, a deacon (priest), and a dentist. They fed us crazy good food like paella and kasava cake. I was told I eat too little and spoken to in Spanish. It was a good time but only lasted 3 hours. We got invited to a nearby towns Fiesta on tuesday but Language and Technical Training Classes come first (boo) so we politely declined.

All in all its been good. Can't wait to travel and see more of the island were on. That will make for amazing pictures.


p.s. Tuesday we're meeting the mayor and police and other respected city officials.
Yup were legit.

No comments:

Post a Comment